Request Registration Code

Terms of Service

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws. We will permanently ban all users who do so.

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.

  I agree to the terms of service


The Cryonics Institute’s 173rd Patient

by System Administrator / Friday, 14 September 2018 /

Fotolia 66655728 xs

Cryonics Institute Case Report for Patient Number 173


CI patient #173 was a 57 year old female from Florida.  The patient was a CI member at the time of her death.


The patient died in the hospital and was pronounced at 11:59 am on August 25, 2018. After pronouncement took place, the hospital staff applied ice to cool the patient down. No Heparin could be given. The funeral home that the family contracted with came to transfer her to the funeral home. She remained on ice while the funeral home staff worked quickly to obtain the paperwork needed for her transportation. 


The patient arrived at the CI facility at 6:40 pm on the 26th, approximately 30 hours after death.  The patient was in a Ziegler case in a body bag with a generous amount of ice. The nasal temperature upon her arrival was -1.4c. 


Hillary Martenson performed the perfusion.  The perfusion was completed at 8:40 pm.  During the perfusion there were 1 liter of 10% Eg solution and 4 liters of 30% Eg solution used, and 25 liters of 70% VM1 solutions used.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the right jugular vein was 1.4195.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the left jugular vein was 1.4217. The average perfusion pressure was held at 125mm and metal cannulas were used. Flow rate started at 2.01 liters per minute and was reduced to 0.54 liters per minute by the end of the perfusion. The nasal temperature was -6c at the end of the perfusion. 


There were some blood clots noted during the perfusion, but there was good flow from both jugular veins. There was an attempt to perfuse the body, but there was edema and other complications throughout the patient’s body upon arrival. As soon as the body perfusion began, the patient’s abdomen began to swell, so the perfusion of the body was stopped at 7:41 pm. Significant dehydration of the head and face was noted along with a bronzing of the skin. There was very slight edema in the face noted toward the end of the perfusion.  


The patient was then transferred to the computer controlled cooling chamber to cool to liquid nitrogen temperature.  The human vitrification program was selected and the time needed to cool the patient to liquid nitrogen temperature was five days and 11 hours.  The patient was then placed in a cryostat for long-term cryonic storage.