Request Registration Code

Terms of Service

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws. We will permanently ban all users who do so.

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.

  I agree to the terms of service


The Cryonics Institutes 166th Patient

by System Administrator / Sunday, 8 April 2018 /

Fotolia 66655728 xs

Cryonics Institute Case Report for Patient Number 166


CI patient #166 was a 92 year old female from Toronto.  The patient was a CI member at the time of her death.


The patient died in the hospital and was pronounced at 8:58 pm on March 26, 2018. After pronouncement took place, bags of ice were applied to the patient’s head and neck by the contracted local standby personnel. The hospital would not allow any further standby procedures to be performed at the hospital. The family made arrangements ahead of time with a local funeral home, which came to take the patient to their funeral home for further cool down with ice. The standby personnel were able to administer Heparin, Sodium Citrate, and Maalox upon the patient’s arrival at the funeral home. The patient remained in ice and refrigeration while the necessary paperwork for the transportation was obtained. 


The patient arrived at the CI facility at 4:20 pm on March 28th, approximately 43 hours after death.  She was in a Ziegler case with a generous amount of ice. The nasal temperature upon her arrival was 3.3c. 


Hillary Martenson performed the perfusion. During the perfusion there were 3 liters of 10% Eg solution and 3 liters of 30% Eg solution used, and 16 liters of 70% VM1 solutions used.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the right jugular vein was 1.4138.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the left jugular vein was 1.4060. The average perfusion pressure was held at 105mm and metal cannulas were used. Flow rate started at 1.35 liters per minute and was reduced to 0.59 liters per minute by the end of the perfusion. The nasal temperature was 1.7c at the end of the perfusion. 


There were no blood clots noted during the perfusion and there was good flow from both of the jugular veins during the beginning of the perfusion. The perfusion of the body was stopped at 5:19 pm as distention of the abdomen was noted and there was no evidence that the perfusate was reaching the extremities, as there was no bronzing or dehydration. The right side of the patient’s face became bronzed and dehydrated, but only slight bronzing was noted in the left side of the patient’s face. Further into the perfusion, the right side of the patient’s face began to swell slightly and then edema became visible on the right side of the patient’s head near the area of the occipital bone. The flow from the right jugular had also decreased. The perfusion was stopped because of the edema and static refractive index. 


The patient was then transferred to the computer controlled cooling chamber to cool to liquid nitrogen temperature.  The human vitrification program was selected and the time needed to cool the patient to liquid nitrogen temperature was five days and 11 hours.  The patient was then placed in a cryostat for long-term cryonic storage.