Request Registration Code

Terms of Service

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws. We will permanently ban all users who do so.

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.

  I agree to the terms of service


The Cryonics Institute’s 129th Patient

by System Administrator / Thursday, 5 February 2015 /

Cryonics Institute Case Report for Patient Number 129

CI patient #129 was an 81 year old male from Maryland who died at home under hospice care on January 30th, 2015.  The patient was a CI member at the time of his death.

The patient had contracted with a local funeral director to provide initial cooling and transport services.  The patient died at approximately 10:30am on January 30, 2015.  The patient was packed in water ice and transported to the airport where he was then flown to the CI facility.  Heparin was not administered by the hospice providers or funeral director.

The patient arrived at the CI facility, packed in water ice at approximately 11:30pm on the 30th of January.  Jim and Sara Walsh, CIs local cooperating funeral directors, were both present for the perfusion and the perfusion began at about midnight.  Body perfusion was attempted, but because of clotting of the blood, the amount of cryoprotective solution that was absorbed into the body was minimal, though some dehydration and bronzing of the skin was observed in the upper arms and torso.

The perfusion was completed at 1:18am.  During the perfusion there were 5 liters of 10% Eg solution used, 8 liters of 30 % Eg solution used and 13 liters of 70% VM1 solutions used.  The flow rate during perfusion with 70% VM1 was .23 liters per minute with a pressure of 127mm.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the right jugular vein was 1.4128.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the left jugular vein were not measured because the funeral director could not place a drain tube in the jugular vein because the vein was smaller in size than normal.  Dehydration of the head and face was noted along with a bronzing color of the skin.  Some edema started to appear on the left side of the patient’s neck and face at the end of the perfusion.

The patient was then placed in the computer controlled cooling chamber to cool to liquid nitrogen temperature.  The human vitrification program was selected and the time needed to cool the patient to liquid nitrogen temperature was five days and 19 hours.  The patient was then placed in a cryostat for long-term cryonic storage.