Request Registration Code

Terms of Service

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws. We will permanently ban all users who do so.

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.

  I agree to the terms of service


The Cryonics Institute’s 115th Patient

by System Administrator / Tuesday, 25 March 2014 /

Cryonics Institute Case Report for Patient Number 115

CI patient #115 was a 73 year old male who died in a Michigan hospital on May 2nd, 2013 after being hospitalized for several weeks with heart problems.  The patient was a long time CI member who lived in Michigan.

The patients condition continued to deteriorate and a decision was made to remove the patient from the ventilator.  The hospital agreed to leave a heparin drip in place after the ventilator was removed.  The patient died about an hour and thirty minutes after being removed from the ventilator on May 2nd, 2013 at 1:44pm.  CI personal and a local funeral director were on site at the hospital when the patient died.  The patient was injected with extra heparin, packed in water ice and driven to the CI facility by the local funeral director. 

Jim and Sara Walsh, CIs local cooperating funeral directors, were both present for the perfusion and the perfusion began at 3:40pm.  No clots were observed in the blood during the perfusion.  The patients body and head were both perfused, as he previously requested on his Perfusion Preference Statement.

During the perfusion there were 6 liters of 10% Eg solution used, 12 liters of 30 % Eg solution used and 29 liters of 70% VM1 solutions used.  The perfusion was done through the right and left carotid arteries.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the right jugular vein was 1.437.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the left jugular vein was 1.419.  Considerable dehydration of the head and face was noted along with a bronzing color of the skin.  Dehydration and bronzing of the skin was also noted down to the feet, but not to the extent that it was noted in the face.  No edema was noted.  The perfusion was completed at 5:30pm. 

The patient was then placed in the computer controlled cooling chamber to cool to liquid nitrogen temperature.  The human vitrification program was selected and the time needed to cool the patient to liquid nitrogen temperature was five and a half days.  The patient was then placed in a cryostat for long-term cryonic storage.

Comments:  The patients next of kin was very determined to make sure the patients wishes were carried out properly.  The next of kin informed the doctors of the patients wishes and both the next of kin and CI personal conferred with the doctors to determine what assistance the hospital could and could not provide.  The next of kin kept CI updated of the patients condition and any changes to his condition.  This extra effort by the next of kin contributed to the prompt release of the patient by the hospital and was instrumental in getting the hospital to agree to allow CI personal to be bedside in the patients room when the ventilator was removed, which resulted in prompt cryonics care and a good suspension.