Request Registration Code

Terms of Service

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws. We will permanently ban all users who do so.

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.

  I agree to the terms of service


The Cryonics Institute’s 114th Patient

by System Administrator / Monday, 24 March 2014 /

Cryonics Institute Case Report for Patient Number 114

CI patient #114 was a 84 year old female who died in a Tennessee hospital on January 16th, 2013 after being hospitalized for several weeks after an apparent stroke.  The patient was a CI member at the time of her death.

The next of kin had contracted with a local funeral director to provide initial cooling and transport services.  The patient died in the early morning hours of January 16th, 2013.  The patient was packed in water ice and driven to the CI facility by the local funeral director that the next of kin recently contracted with.  Heparin was not administered by the hospital or funeral director.

The patient arrived at the CI facility, packed in water ice at approximately 4:30pm on the 16th of January.  Jim and Sara Walsh, CIs local cooperating funeral directors, were both present for the perfusion and the perfusion began at 5pm.  Due to the fact that clotting of the blood was noted in the body, the perfusion efforts were focused on the head and brain.

The perfusion was completed at 6:30pm.  During the perfusion there were 5 liters of 10% Eg solution used, 6 liters of 30 % Eg solution used and 15 liters of 70% VM1 solutions used.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the right jugular vein was 1.42.  The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the left jugular vein was 1.421.  Considerable dehydration of the head and face was noted along with a bronzing color of the skin.

The patient was then placed in the computer controlled cooling chamber to cool to liquid nitrogen temperature.  The human vitrification program was selected and the time needed to cool the patient to liquid nitrogen temperature was five days and 13 hours.  The patient was then placed in a cryostat for long-term cryonic storage.

Comments:  The hospital was reluctant to inject the patient with heparin and do chest compressions after death.  The funeral director was also reluctant to administer heparin because it was not something he was familiar with and the next of kin only recently contracted with the funeral director.  Had a local standby group been available and properly supplied, the clotting of the blood may have been prevented, thus giving the patient an opportunity for a better perfusion to the body.