Request Registration Code

Terms of Service

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws. We will permanently ban all users who do so.

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.

  I agree to the terms of service


The Cryonics Institutes 187th Patient

by System Administrator / Monday, 3 August 2020 /


CI patient #187 was an 89 year old female from Florida. The patient was a CI member at the time of her death.

Standby, stabilization, and transportation arrangements were made in advance with Suspended Animation (SA). Suspended Animation arrived with their equipment for standby at the Medical Center where the patient was being cared for. The patient deanimated on June 22, 2020. After the patient was legally pronounced deceased and released to SA, they performed their procedures for cool-down and stabilization. (A detailed case report will be provided by Suspended Animation.) After SA’s procedures were complete, the patient was packed in ice and prepared for transportation by commercial airline.
The patient arrived at the CI facility, packed in ice, at 9:05 pm on the 23rd of June, approximately 23 hours after death. Nasal temperature was 0c. The patient was transferred to the operating table and the perfusion was started at 9:50 pm.

Hillary Martenson performed the perfusion. During the perfusion there were 1.5 liters of 10% Eg solution used, 2.5 liters of 30% Eg solution used, and 13.5 liters of 70% VM1 solutions used. The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the right jugular vein was 1.4236. The final refractive index of the effluents exiting the left jugular vein was 1.4237. The average perfusion pressure was held at 105mm and metal cannulas were used. Flow rate started at 1.32 liters per minute and was reduced to 1.18 liters per minute by the end of the perfusion. Nasal temperature was -0.3c at the end of the perfusion.
The body perfusion was stopped at 10:00 pm, as there was evidence of the perfusate leaking from the patient’s chest incision where the SA surgeon performed the blood wash out and perfusion of organ preservative solution. It did not appear the perfusate was able to circulate through the body and was instead leaking from the incision site. It was confirmed with the SA surgeon that the incisions they made had been sutured closed and that the vascular system could have just been fragile due to the patient’s age and condition.

The perfusion to the head was complete at 10:45 pm and was successful. Considerable dehydration of the head and face was noted along with a bronzing color of the skin.

The patient was then placed in the computer controlled cooling chamber to cool to liquid nitrogen temperature. The human vitrification program was selected and the time needed to cool the patient to liquid nitrogen temperature was five days and 11 hours. The patient was then placed in a cryostat for long-term cryonic storage.