Request Registration Code

Terms of Service

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws. We will permanently ban all users who do so.

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.

  I agree to the terms of service


The Cryonics Institute’s 79th Patient: By Ben Best

Friday, 2 February 2007 by System Administrator

The 79th patient of the Cryonics Institute (CI) is an 88-year-old man who had been a CI Member for nearly ten years and had been a cryonicist much longer. Neither of his two daughters have a personal interest in cryonics, but both are fully supportive of their father's desire to be cryopreserved. Because of his deteriorating health he has long had arrangements in place with his local cooperating funeral director. Because he lived within a 7 hour drive from the Cryonics Institute his funeral director was prepared to drive him to CI as a means of avoiding airline scheduling and airport delays.

The man had a stroke in August 2005 and another in the Fall of 2005. He had been recovering somewhat until he got pneumonia in December 2006. At that time he was placed under home hospice care and remained under home hospice care even after his December recovery. On February 20, 2007 he was having contortions that an attendant interpreted as being another stroke. He was sent to the hospital where the stroke was not confirmed, but a heart attack was diagnosed (the daughter suspects that he had a heart attack in the ER). He was released from the hospital on February 23rd, but home hospice care had been ended by the hospital trip.

The Cryonics Institute’s 78th Patient: By Ben Best

Friday, 5 January 2007 by System Administrator

The 78th patient of the Cryonics Institute was an 81-year-old German woman who had been made a Cryonics Institute Member by her daughter within days of the patient's deanimation. Although not highly educated the patient had worked as a secretary and was very talented as a craftsperson as well as musically.

The patient had been diagnosed as having Alzheimer's Disease nine years earlier. The patient's husband had been killed in an automobile accident a few days before the diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease. Four years later the diagnosis was changed to Lewy body dementia. At the beginning of 2004 the patient suffered a stroke which left her bed-bound for the rest of her life -- requiring intensive care by her daughter.

The patient was in the hospital at the time of deanimation, suffering from aspiration pneumonia (the most common cause of death for Alzheimer's patients). The daughter had achieved what she felt was a sympathetic willingness to help by the attending physicians and nurses, but detailed instructions had been given in written form, but not reinforced verbally or given to all the responsible hospital personnel. Only 5,000 IU of heparin was administrated in the arm at the time of deanimation and this was not circulated by CPR/CPS. An hour later another 35,000-45,000 IU was administered, but this was not circulated either, so it was a somewhat fruitless exercise.

The Cryonics Institute’s 77th Patient : By Ben Best

Tuesday, 5 September 2006 by System Administrator

The 77th patient of the Cryonics Institute was a 96-year-old CI Member who had been a CI Member since 1999. He had been a captain in the Army during the Second World War and among many subsequent management positions had supervised hundreds of engine inspectors, some of whom inspected engines used by the Apollo astronauts. Two of his three sons are also CI Members. Initially he had no interest in cryonics for himself, but he agreed to being cryopreserved to please his two sons. With time, however, he came to like the idea of cryonics. The third son was not interested in cryonics, and the third son's wife was vehemently opposed to cryonics -- as was the patient's brother.

The patient had a long history of arthritis. During the previous two years he had also been suffering from congestive heart failure, but was being stabilized with Lasix and Coreg. His vital signs had been monitored at least every half hour by his diligent sons (or a paid sitter) for the previous five years. During the previous three months his overall quality of life had been deteriorating significantly. A week prior to deanimation he had broken a hip (broken femur) and had gone to a hospital to have the femur pinned together. The physician said that the operation carried a 40% risk of death within 2 weeks of the operation, but the patient appeared to be recovering.