Hospital Instructions for Cryonics Patients
Instructions For Hospitals Concerning Treatment of Cryonics Patients
The following should be done IMMEDIATELY after clinical death of the cryonics patient:
- Cool patient by TOPICAL APPLICATION OF ICE or other coolant, WITH SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE HEAD. If the ice is directly from the freezer, use with a towel between the patient and ice to avoid surface freezing.
- Please LEAVE IN PLACE ANY ACCESS OR DRAINAGE TUBES, such as I.V., N.G., Foley, and/or tracheotomy tube with oxygen line. If an I.V. line is not in place, please insert one post-mortem.
- ADMINISTER HEPARIN (INTRAVENOUSLY IF POSSIBLE). Use 30,000 units (40,000 units if the patient is over 200 pounds).
- If possible, after pronouncement of death, use prompt CPR-like compressions to MAINTAIN HEART AND LUNG FUNCTION. Vigorous compressions for 5 to 15 minutes helps to delay deterioration, improves heat transfer and helps to circulate heparin throughout the body.
CALL CRYONICS INSTITUTE EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBERS BELOW UNTIL CRYONICS INSTITUTE PERSONNAL ARE ALERTED:
Cryonics Institute: (586) 791-5961
Facility Manager Pager: (313) 990-5916
- RELEASE PATIENT WITH NO DELAY TO CRYONICS INSTITUTE PERSONNEL (or representative of Funeral Home) upon their arrival.